Monday, February 9, 2009

Crazy at Wally World

Whenever I roll into the local Wal-Mart by myself, I have a strange experience. Let me share my latest oddity.

After gathering my wonderful treasures from the mega store, I set out to find a check out lane that held fewer than 100 people in it (not an easy task). Slipping into the "20 items or less" lane the small Asian check out lady acknowledged my presence and turned off her light. She let me know in a mousey voice that I was the last person she'd be checking out (there were 3 other shopper ahead of me). She also wanted me to be the person to deliver that news to anyone who dared come behind me. I laughed. She didn't.
Obviously, as soon as I ended my "I don't really want to do that" nervous laughter, a cart rolls in behind me. All eyes that were in front of me where on me. I made my "I don't really want to" face and thankfully the shoppers behind me decided to switch lanes on their own accord. PHEW.
A man at the front of our line let me know that I was "slacking on my job." Which brought a few smug smiles to the others in line.
Now, that should be enough, but it isn't the end. Another person shows up with ONE item. I then had to tell him and his little girl that I was the last one she was taking. I did slap on a sweet, timid "sorry" on the end, but that didn't seem to make any difference. That seemed to appease the rest of the line.
So, this is the end of my tale? No. I finally made it to the front of the line. The quiet cashier was very sweet. She saw the onesie I was buying for Colton and asked how old the baby was. After a little chit chat she wanted to know what I would get my husband for Valentines Day. I told her that I just had a baby, that should be enough. She gave me a look and began to tell me that I should buy him some silk boxers that were near by. She followed up that suggestion with an eyebrow movement that left me speechless. Oh, my...was this dear, sweet old woman telling me; never mind what she was telling me...it was a little weird...but that is just another adventure brought to ME from my neighborhood Walmart....

5 comments:

Danielle said...

HAHAHA! Don't you love being given jobs - even as a customer? And what is up with the over-divulgence of suggestions and info? I too have had bizarre experiences of that sort there. . the ones that kind of leave you wondering why in the world this person felt it necessary to divulge such strange/disturbing info. Never a dull moment there.

michael said...

So, did you buy the boxers?

Amanda Lomonaco said...

You should have said in all seriousness, "THAT is what got me into this mess in the first place!" ;-)

Brandi said...

oh my!! That was pretty funny, I must say. . .and, gotta say thanks for giving me something else to read tonight! haha

Brandi

Cindy Lynn said...

This was precious!! What I love most is the peer pressure which still entraps us all. I mean it wasn't just the cashier telling you to control the line, but everyone else as well. You should be flattered that were elected as the keeper of something so serious as line management ;)