Sunday, August 8, 2010

Looking the part





In a few days my oldest will do something that he's never done before, attend public school (gasp). OK, I know what you're thinking, "No big deal," right? Wrong. We are approaching uncharted waters in our home. Both my husband and I have never attended a public school. Wait, before you pass us off as yuppie rich kids, let me remind you that my husband lived overseas where choices were limited, and I attended a school that wasn't in business to make money (translation, it wasn't swanky).

My son is pretty quiet and reserved, so I think. However, I have seen him in his element being loud and pretty entertaining to other students. He's a ladies man, already (whether he wants to be or not...right now, not), and he has been developing his own sense of style. Enter the title of this blog.

This new school requires a uniform, a pretty dull one at that, and that imposes the challenge of standing out in a, "I didn't make a huge effort to" way. Translation, cool shoes and cool belts for the boys. Do you know how hard it is to find a cool belt for a little boy? VERY HARD. Google it and try.

After much consideration, torment and trial I have discovered that Kohl's online was my best option. He will now be sporting two different Tony Hawk belts of his choosing, one with flames (yes, flames as in fire) and one that is monochromatic (Code For: khaki no frills). We already took care of the shoe situation, selected from Shawn White's collection (Translation: Target's answer to Vans).

Yes, as we embark on this journey of a new school year littered with "firsts", my son will hopefully, at very least, look the part of a cool little boy. Lets be honest, though: cool shoes or none, flame belts or plain, uniform or pajamas...my little guy is already one of the three coolest kids I know.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm sure your son will do great. It will probably be harder on you than him. Hope he has a fantastic first day.