Saturday, May 3, 2008

Finally, a conclusion

OK, so the debate has been thrown around in several circles about Africans clapping on the offbeat rather that the "even" beats. I know that this sounds confusing (and a little dumb), but for some reason it has been eating away at me!
Stephen (Africa native since birth) and family (parents still reside overseas) have clapped the same as me throughout and have joked about the apparent clapping impaired that plagues our churches and people (all in good fun).
SO, when the idea came up that we were not clapping/keeping the beat the "African" way you can see our disgust with the very idea!
That got me digging....I researched many songs, sites, stories, and anything else that could help me reach a conclusion (right or wrong).....and what I found was surprising.
When Africans are singing traditional "African" songs or have arranged music they do tend to clap on the off beat. However, when adapting an "English" song they tend to clap on the even beats!
Both sides are right! The actual answer and problem were simply lost in translation!
You can be assured that I am breathing a sigh of relief as this inner turmoil can finally be extinguished.

No comments: